Dear FCC Members:
Reuters Breakingviews, the financial commentary division of Reuters, is seeking a columnist to lead its agenda-setting coverage of Chinese business, finance and economics. This is an opportunity to tackle some of the most important, yet often misunderstood, topics in global finance. The position can be located in Beijing or Shanghai. For more details, and link to the application, click here:
- Ability to work/write fast and adhere to Pareto’s (The 80/20) rule
- Ability to dive deep into the issues
- Ability to write compelling narratives
- Ability to gather/ interpret big data and statistics
- Highly analytical
- Highly proficient in internet research, Microsoft office, online tools
- Exp. in Investigative journalism
- Some graphic design ability (such as infographics and charts) is advantageous
- Some computer programming/coding skills are advantageous
- Marketing/ copywriting ability is advantageous
- Native level English is required
- Chinese language advantageous, but not essential
- Must be serious about good grammar and the facts
- Must be able to deliver according to deadlines and assume responsibility for deadlines/ do overtime if required.
- Some experience/ understanding of IP (Intellectual Property and IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) / Brand Protection is high advantageous.
The German Chamber of Commerce in China | Shanghai (GCC Shanghai) is the representative organization for German companies in Shanghai and the provinces of Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui, Shandong, Henan and Hubei. As part of the world-wide German Chamber network, the mission of the GCC Shanghai is to promote economic ties between the Federal Republic of Germany and the People’s Republic of China with a special focus on its geographical area. With about 1600 member companies, the GCC Shanghai provides a forum for its members and advocates member interests with relevant organizations. The GCC Shanghai, together with the Delegation of German Industry & Commerce and the German Industry & Commerce are the overall platform for Sino-German trade and industry promotion abroad.
To strengthen our team from mid-March or earlier, we are looking for a
Junior Editor / Editor
- Support the Chamber Team in all editorial areas and in the production of key Chamber publications including the bi-monthly China-wide business magazine German Chamber Ticker and Annual Report.
- Responsibility for the Chamber’s Benefit Program, including partner outreach, database upkeep and the production of the annual Benefit Partner brochure.
- Generating story ideas, conducting research and interviews and writing articles, cooperating with clients and external contributors, as well as copyediting and proofreading all content of the German Chamber Ticker
- Composing or compiling content for and editing other marketing and sales collateral, including material for special events
- Managing development, distribution, and maintenance of other print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures and business reports
- Supporting the development and implementation of the Chamber’s communications strategy
- Implementing and expanding the Chamber’s social media strategy to raise the Chamber’s profile and market its activities
- Carrying out other general communications and marketing tasks that may arise
- Actively tending to the needs of our clients, partners and members at Chamber events in Shanghai and its neighboring provinces as well as supporting the team on ad-hoc projects
- Native English speaker
- German and/or Chinese language skills an advantage
- Bachelor degree or higher (preferred majors: journalism, media/PR, marketing/communications, international business, English)
- Strong command of the written word and an interest in current affairs and China business issues as they relate to German business
- Cultural sensitivity and eagerness to work in an international environment
- Solid MS Office skills a must; knowledge of design software (InCopy, InDesign, PhotoShop) a plus
What we expect from you:
- Goal-oriented mindset with excellent communication and customer service skills
- Able to work in a high-stress environment with strict deadlines
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Responsible and reliable with the ability to work independently
Please submit your application in English per email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
SHP+ (shpplus.com) is an online bilingual (English/Chinese) magazine that focuses on China’s advertising and advertising production industry.
SHP+ is currently seeking freelance Writers and Journalists to produce content for its upcoming magazine about China’s advertising industry. The ideal candidate(s) will be paid per article.
- Work closely with SHP+ editors to brainstorm ideas and topics weekly
- Finish assigned writing tasks in a timely manner
- Interview industry people and/or pay visits to commercial shooting sets
- Clean, straightforward and concise writing style
- Writing/ journalistic experience, especially in Marketing or Advertisement Production fields a plus
- Quick, efficient writer with good time management
- A good team worker
- Both native English and Chinese speakers are welcome
- Part time or full time work available
- Salary paid per article for full time or commensurate with experience for full time
Please send cv and cover letter to email@example.com
Pinebase is a Chinese Overseas Investment Platform, started by former principals with Experience from Blackstone, Morgan Stanley, Evercore, Bloomberg and Reuters. The position is based in New York. We are looking for fully Chinese fluent full-time, part-time and freelance help to help write articles and manage our social media platform and campaigns. We are looking for resourceful, creative, no ego, no drama candidates. We are just as open minded to citizen journalists, bloggers, journalism grads and academics. We are open to sponsoring H1-Bs but you will have to be able to work on a probationary period to justify the effort and cost. Our wechat official page is Pinebase so you can see our prelaunch articles.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or to my we chat address is lesbaquiran
The global news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) is expanding its China operations and seeks an English-language Sports/Lifestyle Correspondent, to be based in Shanghai.
The correspondent will plan and write sports news and multimedia features from across China, and produce lifestyle pieces in areas including music, cinema, celebrity, food and drink, Internet and mobile technology, with a focus on how advances in those fields are changing the way we live.
The role also includes daily coverage and breaking sports news, such as filing match reports from a wide variety of sports — including football, tennis, golf and Formula One — to tight deadlines.
He /she will look behind the sporting and lifestyle headlines with features, profiles and interviews that give insight into trends and the men and women that matter in everything from Shaolin kungfu to soccer and from baijiu to Baidu. It will involve some travel around China.
The correspondent will work closely with AFP’s Shanghai-based photo and video staff, as well as the Beijing bureau, and video shooting and editing skills will be a plus.
This is an opportunity for a versatile journalist with strong sporting knowledge and a range of sources and contacts, who wants to develop their own story ideas for a global audience. Every day AFP’s words and images reach millions of readers and viewers via thousands of print, online and broadcast clients around the world.
Native-level English speaker with the ability to speak and read Chinese required.
Candidate should have at least 5 years of solid journalism experience.
Compensation package commensurate with abilities and experience.
Please apply to email@example.com
This week brings an unprecedented number of major art events to Shanghai: the West Bund Art & Design Fair and Art 021 Fair will run concurrently for the first time, joined by the opening of the eleventh Shanghai Biennale. The two fairs rank among the top in Asia, while the Biennale is China’s most important curated exhibition, this year curated by Indian artist and curator collective Raqs Media Collective. There are also scores of ancillary exhibitions and events this week around Shanghai’s galleries and museums, including the twentieth anniversary of Shanghai’s first contemporary art gallery ShanghArt.
Please find below a list of the major events. Most gallery events are open to the general public, and PR contacts are listed for the main invite-only events. They welcome FCC correspondents and media members to be in touch to register.
Zhang Ruyi solo, Don Gallery (1331 Fuxing Zhong Lu Room 26)
Edouard Malingue Gallery West Bund, Cui Xinming solo
Xu Zhen Store, Madein Gallery West Bund
Minsheng Museum, Everyday Legend
Arario Gallery Shanghai, Osang Gwon solo show
Rockbund Art Museum, Felix Gonzalez-Torres
West Bund Art and Design Fair
K11, Hack Space
Alex Katz: West Broadway and Spring
Mira Dancy: Future Women, Yuz Museum
Antenna Space, M50: Nadim Abbbas
Sishang Museum and Klaus Biesenbach host party at Shelter
11.9 4-10 ShanghArt 20 years anniversary and West Bund opening (2555 Longteng Da Dao). Invite only, please contact Suqin,firstname.lastname@example.org.
11.9 3pm Aike Dellarco West Bund, solo shows by Lee Kit and Wang Yi
11.9 4pm Fab-Space Union, West Bund, Birdhead solo show
11.9 4-6 Martin Creed at Qiao Space, and 10-late performance at Shanghai Nights (400 Caobao Lu)
11.9 New Century Art Foundation, West Bund building 18, Wang Bing’s video collection, curated by Bao Dong
11.9 6-7:30pm, Sion Sono China film debut of Whispering Star, West Bund Center Hall B
11.9 6-8pm, Leo Xu Gallery (Lane 49, Building 3, Fuxing Xi Lu), Nina Canell
11.9 4pm, Gu Wenda solo show including mass lantern release at M21 Museum
11.10 12pm CC Foundation/Yang Zhenzhong Party for Everybody at 021 Fountain, Shanghai Exhibition Center
11.10 6pm You Won’t be Young Forever – group show curated by Biljana Ciric of young Chinese artists (An Jing, Ayo Yunyu SHIH, Chen Tingting, Gao Yuan, Tang Chao, Li Shuang, Payne Zhu, Lin Aojie, Liu Yefu, Zhang Wei, Zhong Jialing, Yang Yuanyuan, Zhu Jianlin, Vivian Xiao Shiqin, Xu Hao, Shen Xin, FongFo Monthly), with backing including the Guangdong Times Museum and ShanghArt, in an old apartment block; 235 Guangfu Lu, near Wuzhen Lu Bridge
11.10 6:30pm Aurora Museum, Hu Jieming: Lights of Time solo show
11.11 Shanghai Biennale opening, invite only, please email@example.com orSybil@suttonpr.com
10:00-11:00 Shanghai Biennale VIP Media Brunch with Curators and Artists
16:00-17:00 Shanghai Biennale Opening ceremony & press conference
17:00-18:00 Shanghai Biennale Guided tour
17:00-19:00 Shanghai Biennale Cocktail party
11.11 021 Opens at Shanghai Exhibition Center, invite only, please contact Mia Cheng Media@art021.org
3pm Media registration
5pm Guided tour
6pm Press gathering
11.12 4-7pm Bank reopens at 298 Anfu Lu Bldg 2 with Austin Lee’s Light Paintings
11.12 Feng Mengbo performance at Arkham
11.12 5:30-7:30pm Pearl Lam group show Slippages (Gao Weigang, Sakarin Krue-On, Li Jingxiong, MAP Office, Nabuqi, Sun Yuan & Peng Yu, Wang Fujui, Xie Nanxing, and Zhou Yangming)
11.12 5-7pm Shanghai Gallery of Art (Three on the Bund, 3F), Ni Jun solo show
China-focused news and features website Sixth Tone is looking for a data journalist with graphic design skills, to create infographics, and encourage data-driven journalism within the team.
Applicants should have experience with programs needed for data manipulation and presentation, such as Excel, Access, Illustrator, Tableau, Google Fusion, as well as experience with data mapping tools. In addition, the applicant should have intermediate coding skills. Tone is looking for a candidate with experience working in online journalism, or a related field. Ideally, the candidate should be bilingual (English/Mandarin), be used to working to tight deadlines, and willing to work in Shanghai.
Deadline Friday, November 25. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The News Lens International is looking for new regular contributors. We are looking for fresh, original pieces covering all aspects of society in Asia, and the experiences of people from the region abroad. This includes news, analysis, op-eds, features and reviews.
– be from or based in Asia;
– have substantial English writing experience
– be available to contribute at least one piece of high-quality original writing each week. The role may suit established journalists and freelancers, bloggers, students and academics.
Interested? Please email email@example.com Subject: TNLI Contributor
Please include: a one-page CV, writing sample links/copies, and at least four story pitches.