Reuters is seeking a talented reporter to break news on the most important but least predictable global story in energy markets — China. Whether it is buying West African crude, building large state petroleum reserves or flexing its bargaining power for Iranian oil, China makes headlines almost daily for energy markets. Reuters China C+E team is looking for a new member to help maintain its lead in reporting on the world’s top energy consumer. The position will focus primarily on government policy and changes in the energy and power sector, such as the much talked-about pricing reforms and how they could impact China’s oil, gas and coal demand growth outlook. It requires a motivated self-starter who will generate breaking news and longer trend pieces through deep sourcing across the energy industry in China.
Apart from winning the biggest energy stories in China, the successful candidate will also need the agility to react quickly to unexpected news and have the skill to write the story clearly for a global cross-asset audience. Above all the reporter will need to be a team player, working closely with colleagues across Asia as well as with the Commodities & Energy team in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Singapore.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES
· Writing reports on China’s monthly import and production data
· A weekly coal price report, monitoring port stocks
· Develop sources and break news
· Develop a deep market knowledge needed to identify market-moving themes and trends.
· Experience of reporting commodities or energy markets
· The ability break news in a timely manner and generate copies
· Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy
· Excellent written English, fluent Mandarin
Fayen Wong Fayen.Wong@