Reuters is seeking to hire a dynamic, experienced reporter for its team covering the world’s second-largest economy. This is a great opportunity to cover China’s attempts to overhaul and open up its economy and financial markets, changes that are reverberating around the world, for our global audience.
Working as part of a wider team in Beijing, the correspondent will focus largely on identifying new developments in the economy — whether that be a city’s property market crashing, a region falling behind the rest of the country, or local governments taking extreme measures as they face a fiscal shortfall — and writing compelling, accessible stories about them for our global readership. The correspondent should be continuously delving deep into data and policy decisions to produce investigative and analytical reports covering the length and width of China’s economy. The correspondent will be expected to combine general knowledge of economics with specific knowledge of current conditions, and to cultivate policymaking sources – including having some sources already.
He/she will also help cover the regular release of economic indicators and policy announcements, putting them into context for a wider readership. The senior correspondent will also pitch in to support the wider Beijing bureau when necessary.
– At least 5 years reporting experience or equivalent
– Professionally competent spoken and written Chinese, fluency preferred
– A deep understanding of economics, monetary and fiscal policy
– Excellent news judgment and writing skills
– Proven ability to generate innovative story ideas and turn them into ready-to-run stories
– Good organizational skills, ability to manage “twin track” of breaking news and writing insightful stories