Le Monde, the leading French daily, is looking for a news assistant for its Shanghai correspondent. This is a full-time credentialed position.
The ideal applicant will have exceptional organizational skills, be a self-starter, be interested in news, and have a keen understanding of American and European audiences and what they need to know about
China. He or she should also be comfortable interacting with people from all conditions, from CEO’s to rural Chinese living in the most remote areas.
The work involves:
• Gathering news and information from Chinese media, websites, social media, on a daily basis
• Developing enterprise story pitches
• Conducting in-depth research
• Quickly finding contacts, and developing a network of sources
• Assisting as a translator with interviews; transcribing interview tape
• Arranging reporting trips and fielding logistics
• Helping with administrative tasks as needed.
• Be able to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities
• Travel within China and elsewhere in Asia as needed.
Required: native Mandarin speaker, with good written and spoken English (Dutch and French speakers please also make a note in your application); great organizational skills; highly self-motivated and a self-starter
Preferred (but not required): A background in research or journalism; one or two years of full-time work experience with references
To apply, send a cover letter to: email@example.com