The English News Writer and Media Relations Officer is responsible for unearthing, developing, reporting, and writing news articles for the University’s website and weekly newsletter. S/he will be an integral member of the department, helping to track, report and publicize the activities and achievements of the NYU Shanghai community. The successful candidate will write two to three news articles a week, assist with other English language writing and editing, and when possible, help the media relations team with media outreach and activities.
The main responsibilities include:
- Track the activities and achievements of the NYU Shanghai faculty, administration, and student body, maintaining close relationships with key representatives of all sectors of the NYU Shanghai community;
- Report and write two-to-four news or feature articles a week for publication on the NYU Shanghai website and in the weekly newsletter;
- Work with Campus Relations Officer to produce the weekly newsletter;
- Assist the media relations team with media activities – including tracking media coverage, writing press releases, preparing media kits and organizing press conferences;
- Monitor emerging social and traditional media trends and channels to help improve current media relations strategies and practices;
- Work closely with the Chinese Media Relations Officer to develop and implement a comprehensive media strategy, consistent in Chinese and English.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years’ work experience in news reporting and writing or public relations
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent writing, reporting, and verbal communication skills;
- A nose for news – ability to identify news leads, to follow up, report, and write the story;
- Mastery of the inverted news pyramid – the ability to distill news to its most important elements and write a catchy lead;
- Ability to plan and conduct interesting interviews with news subjects;
- Ability to work and produce under deadline pressure;
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural work setting.
Connect with us
Sign-up to let us know about your interest in an NYU Career.