Editor in Chief, AmCham Shanghai
Title: Editor in Chief
Department: Communications and Publications
Supervisor: Director, Communications and Publications
The Communications and Publications Team is responsible for the corporate communications and public affairs activities of the Chamber including: production of a suite of corporate publications, preparation of research reports, digital content, preparation of speeches and briefing material, media relations, preparation of communication plans and publicity material and management of the AmCham Shanghai website.
The Chamber’s high quality publishing program, including the flagship magazine, Insight, is major part of the external communications function with members, key stakeholders and the public. Under broad direction, and with full supervisory responsibilities, the Editor in Chief manages the editorial content and oversight of the production of publications to final release, encompassing both print and digital media.
- Manage the editing, design and production as well as monitor the distribution and marketing of print and digital publications for the Chamber.
- Develop, implement and review quality standards and procedures, including operational, legal and liability issues and journalistic standards, for writing, editorial, design and publishing services.
- Provide oversight of editorial services and undertake editorial tasks encompassing editorial planning, commissioning, writing, copy editing and proof reading.
- Manage contractual and partnership relationships for the provision of advertising, content, design, print, translation and publication work.
- Recruit, mentor, train and develop the writing and editorial staff.
- Commission and manage a team of freelance journalists, photographers, translators, illustrators and designers.
- From time to time, represent the Director, Communications and Publications at meetings and events and perform other duties as required.
Editor in Chief
Communications and Publications Unit
- Strong leadership skills and a high level of competence and experience in business writing, editing and publishing – print and electronic.
- Demonstrated news judgment, ability to write and edit material for publication and display, in variety of forms and the ability to achieve a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- High level of strategic and project management skills including proven ability to set and deliver program objectives, develop and maintain publishing schedules, manage multiple projects and contracts within budget and fixed deadlines, and supervise contract and in-house writers, designers and printers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; outstanding written and oral communication skills and very effective presentation, liaison and negotiation skills.
- Proven capacity to work effectively (both independently and cooperatively) in a team of multi-skilled communication professionals.
- Up-to-date, detailed understanding of Chinese current affairs and China business issues as they relate to American business; understanding of U.S.-China relations and policy issues a plus.
- Must be able to inspire and lead the editorial and writing team, show initiative, enthusiasm, flexibility, resourcefulness and capacity to think creatively.
- Willingness to contribute to the work of the Team and the Chamber and work under pressure in an organized way to meet deadlines.
- Native English speaker is essential; Chinese language ability would be a plus.
- Degree in business, Asian studies, economics, communications, journalism or relevant discipline. Relevant work experience in a publishing environment.
- Skills in design software packages specifically: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat would be highly regarded.
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org